Re: [Orgmode] Meetup/conference

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Meetup/conference
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 06:33:48 -1000

On Oct 27, 2010, at 11:12 PM, Carsten Dominik wrote:

On Oct 28, 2010, at 2:08 AM, Thomas S. Dye wrote:

Aloha all,

This might be wildly impractical for most of you, but I'd be happy to facilitate an Org-mode conference at Keauhou Beach Resort in Kona, Hawaii. I organized a conference there for 150 archaeologists a few years ago and the facilities were perfect for a group that size. I don't remember right now the minimum number needed for the group rate, but something around 50 sticks in my head.

In addition to congenial meeting facilities, you will find:

1) Terrific sport fishing,
2) Magnificently restored traditional Hawaiian religious temples on the hotel grounds,
3) An active volcano, with lava flowing into the sea, and
4) Tours of the observatories on Mauna Kea.

What a tempting proposal!  Imaging a picture of 50 people with
Org-mode T-Shirts in front of glowing Lava!  I love Hawaii.

I for one don't have the funds for traveling that far - but I do get to Hawaii very occasionally for observations. Will let you know when that happens next time!

Cheers

- Carsten

If we tentatively plan for the northern hemisphere winter a year from now that would be sufficient lead time to set up the conference. And as the days shorten and nights begin to freeze for many of you, the thought of a week in January or February in 27 degree Celsius sunshine might prove appealing.

Of course, Hawai`i Island lacks Belgian beer and for many of you it is halfway around the world ...

All the best,
Tom