Re: [Orgmode] [CONCERN] Orgmode version string

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] [CONCERN] Orgmode version string
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 16:51:10 +0200

On Oct 29, 2010, at 3:06 PM, Jambunathan K wrote:

Carsten

Hi Jambunathan,

On Oct 28, 2010, at 2:40 PM, Jambunathan K wrote:

I have every reason to believe that upcoming version of Org would be
tagged as 7.02. Earlier I had argued that version strings be
version-to-list compatible. I would like to reiterate it.

My real concern is that 7.02 would be deemed as equivalent to 7.2
internally by the versioning subsystem and this is likely to clash
with
user's point of view. A user would *definitely* assume 7.02 as
different
from 7.2 and in all probability swear that former is inferior to the
later.

(version-to-list "7.02")  -> (7 2)
(version-to-list "7.20")  -> (7 20)

so it seems to me that if we keep two-digit numbers, there will be no
problem at all.

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(version-list-= (version-to-list "7.02") (version-to-list "7.20"))
#+end_src

- Carsten

Now that release-7.02 is out, I am a bit disappointed that a ELPA-tar
named org-7.02.tar would be unusable.

The reason is "7.02" doesn't round-trip well and package manager is
allergic to such a choice. Verify this for yourself.

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(package-version-join (version-to-list "7.02"))
#+end_src

If you don't mind sharing, I am curious what made you still go with 7.02
scheme.

Well, most certainly not because I wanted to disappoint you.
On the contrary, I am really greateful for the ground work
you have laid to make us go with the packaging system.

So the reason must be that I have not read/digested the
numbering thread carefully enough.  What I remember from it
is:

- do not use something like 7.02a, because the letter will defeat
  version number testing
- from our most recent exchange I felt that you agree that
  7.02 will behave correctly when compared with the
  version- functions.  So I actually understood that
  you agreed with me.

The reason why I use 7.02 at all is just because I think it
is pretty when one is expecting 2-digit release numbers.
The release file numbers line up nicely in a directory listing.
Things like this.

Do you have the patience to summarize the arguments for me?
I will go with 7.3 for the next release if this is what is
really needed.

Greetings

- Carsten

Jambunathan K.

Please confirm what I am saying by evalling this:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(version-list-= (version-to-list "7.02") (version-to-list "7.2"))
#+end_src

Ignore this mail if it is already taken care of. Needless to say, I
have
ELPA-tarballs in mind when I say this.

Jambunathan K.