Re: [Orgmode] [CONCERN] Orgmode version string

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] [CONCERN] Orgmode version string
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 23:23:16 +0530

Carsten

You haven't misunderstood my arguments at all.

> - do not use something like 7.02a, because the letter will defeat
>   version number testing

> - from our most recent exchange I felt that you agree that
>   7.02 will behave correctly when compared with the
>   version- functions.  So I actually understood that
>   you agreed with me.

I thought you would go with 7.20 :-) and I didn't see any problem with
that.

> The reason why I use 7.02 at all is just because I think it
> is pretty when one is expecting 2-digit release numbers.
> The release file numbers line up nicely in a directory listing.
> Things like this.
>
> Do you have the patience to summarize the arguments for me?

It is better to avoid a '0' prefix. If you build a org-7.02.tar and try
installing using the package manager, you would know what I mean.

> I will go with 7.3 for the next release if this is what is
> really needed.

It is improper for me to say what version you should use. I am careful
that I wouldn't step in to that territory.

All I can say is that C-h v version-to-list and C-h v
version-regexp-alist are your friends. There is a range of schemes
available and surely one such scheme will suit your tastes.

As for snapshot releases it is better rely on the YYYYMMDD scheme for
packaging. M-x org-version can continue to report git magic numbers in
the version string.

Jambunathan K.