Re: [Orgmode] Possible Calc support for Org-Babel?

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Possible Calc support for Org-Babel?
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2010 22:42:55 +0000

Forgot to CC the list et al.

"Eric Schulte" <address@hidden> writes:

> Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

>> I now wonder if it would be worthwhile discussing the choices you have
>> made regarding stack versus algebraic evaluation.  I would rather have
>> the quote mean an algebraic expression, just from the simple reason that
>> these will be longer than stack operations and so the overhead of a
>> quote is smaller as a percentage of keystrokes...
>>

> Hmm, one point against prefixing the algebraic expressions is that they
> would be more likely to be used by themselves in an inline code block.

Yes, I guess so.  My initial thoughts were that we have plenty of
algebraic languages available already through babel (octave, R, python,
...) so why not support a stack based one more directly.   However, the
real benefit of calc is that it is *emacs* and not external!  Algebraic
is more natural to most people so making it easy for them to express
themselves makes sense.

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 23.2.1
: using Org-mode version 7.02trans (release_7.3.10.g7f79.dirty)