[Orgmode] Organising freezers and generating shopping lists

From: Shelagh Manton
Subject: [Orgmode] Organising freezers and generating shopping lists
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2010 09:30:36 +1100

I often find that I have lost food items in the botton of my freezer
that I have to throw out because I've forgotten about them and I'm
trying to set up an org-mode file that helps prevent that.

I've made a file that lists the articles that I have put into the
freezer such as different food types that have different freezer-lifes
(lives?). I have used deadlines for the moment to indicate best before
dates.

Ideally I would like to have some sort of automated system that alerts
me in the agenda that I have some sausages or something still in the
freezer that should be used soon but say a month before the actual
use-by date. I could see maybe using the SCHEDULED keyword for that. But
what I would like is that the todo word which is "AVAILABLE" gets changed
to say SOON (any better choices?) on the day indicated by the SCHEDULED
date.

Has anyone done something like this or could anyone suggest some code
that I could study to do this for myself?

Also of course if I change the status from AVAILABLE to USED because I
have actually taken it out of the freezer, I would like to be able to
add that Item to another file that could be exported to a shopping
list. I know I could look at some of the trigger functions that people
have sent into the mailing list. This I could probably work out myself
with enough time, but if someone could point me in the right direction I
would appreciate it.

A generic capture template that would let you add the category of food
and the use-by date could be automatically inserted eg if it is fish the
use-by date is automatically +3m from now. I haven't studied the new
capture templates yet, I still rely on my old remember set up. But would
the new capture templates be capable of this, especially with some
accompanying functions?

Just thinking on paper.

Regards

Shelagh
--
email: address@hidden

BA (Asian Studies) - ANU | Grad Dip IST - UOW