[Orgmode] Re: Store link upon sending a message

From: Ulf Stegemann
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Store link upon sending a message
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 16:54:13 +0100

Ulf Stegemann <address@hidden> wrote:

> Eric S. Fraga <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Ulf Stegemann <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> I came back to the matter of storing an org link to a copy of a message
>>> upon sending that message.  The function below does just that and proves
>>> to be quite useful together with a sensible key binding (if you use Gnus
>>> and Gcc that is).
>>
>> Very nice!  Works very well.  Thanks.
>>
>> Instead of binding this to a command sequence, is there any hook we can
>> attach the function to so that it's invoked for every message I send
>> (I'm somewhat of a gnus noob unfortunately although I'm learning...)?  I
>> ask because I alternative between =C-c C-c= and =C-c C-j= for sending
>> emails and I would need to provide two alternatives to incorporate your
>> function.
>
> hmmm, never thought of this, probably because I never use
> `gnus-delay-article'.  You could try to put the function into
> `message-send-hook' (but you should remove the call to
> `message-send-and-exit' first).  I don't know if this would work as I
> don't know if the Gcc magic (incl. removal of Gcc header) is done before
> or after that hook.  If the Gcc header has been removed when
> `message-send-hook' is called than you'll have to look for a different
> hook to use.  If the Gcc header is still present, it should probably
> work as expected but note that in that case the org link will be created
> before the actual copying of the message took place. If something goes
> wrong with the latter this will leave you with a bogus org link (which,
> however, is probably not much of a problem).

If the hook approach does not work you could also advise
`gnus-inews-do-gcc', the function that actually creates the message
copies ...

... or you could replace `gnus-inews-do-gcc', e.g. replace the
call to `message-send-and-exit' in
`ulf-message-send-and-org-gnus-store-link' with something like
`gnus-inews-do-gcc-orig' and save it as e.g.
`my-gnus-gcc-and-org-store-link'.  Then you could do something like

(fset 'gnus-inews-do-gcc-orig (symbol-function 'gnus-inews-do-gcc))
(fset 'gnus-inews-do-gcc 'my-gnus-gcc-and-org-store-link)

... but that's all untested ;)

Ulf