[Orgmode] Re: [Babel] now understands org-mode lists

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: [Babel] now understands org-mode lists
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 07:47:56 +0530

"Eric Schulte" <address@hidden> writes:

> Jambunathan K <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> "Eric Schulte" <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've just pushed up a small commit (including minimal documentation)
>>> which teaches code blocks how to read and write Org-mode lists.  The
>>> following example should demonstrate the new behavior.
>>>

>>> #+results: a-list
>>> - org-mode
>>> - and
>>> - babel
>>>

>>> #+source: a-list
>>> #+begin_src emacs-lisp :var lst=a-list :results list
>>>   (reverse lst)
>>> #+end_src
>>>

>> Why not call the underlying type an 'orglist'. One can for example think
>> of orgpropeties etc etc.
>>

> I was just thinking that list is simpler and shorter, we need not prefix
> everything in the Org domain with the prefix org.  Is there a regular
> list that you are concerned this name will conflate with.

Probably I just jumped to a quick conclusion based on a naive
understanding of the description.

I thought that `results' are `output' as `orgmode lists'.

Our mails have crossed. I have tried answering in the last of my
previous mails most of the questions that you have raised.

Ignore me if I don't make any sense :-).

To reiterate:
1. Alphabetical lists has already surfaced and a patch is in
   progress.
2. ascii backend is the dumbest one that doesn't offer any custom style
   associations like HTML or OpenOffice. I find the ASCII backend the
   most useful of all the backends.
3. The easy menu map is one Orgmode already uses to capture
   'polymorphic' behaviour as in C-c C-e binding and may be this could
   be used for choosing styles (from the user side).
4. The new feature could be used for 'ingestion' of custom-styles. So a
   power-user has better control.

Jambunathan K.