[Orgmode] org-mode gnus integration across two machines when using nnima

From: Tommy Kelly
Subject: [Orgmode] org-mode gnus integration across two machines when using nnimap
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 12:20:03 -0600

I'm looking for help in running Gnus with nnimap, and org-mode, across
multiple machines.

When reading my email in Gnus (using nnimap off Gmail), I create tasks
from any given message by using orgp-mode's capture feature. A TODO gets
created with a hyperlink that, on clicking, takes me back to the
relevant email in Gnus. That's all cool.

But I'd like to be able to use that setup from multiple machines.

My current setup uses DropBox. It is tolerable for the org-mode side of
things, but fragile. I keep my org files on DropBox, so those are
visible to all machines. But I have to remember to make sure all org
files are saved becore I move from one machine to another. As I say,
tolerable, but fragile.

For the Gnus side, originally I did the same thing, with all the
relevant Gnus files (newsrc's, bbd stuff, etc) being on DropBox too.
But that's even more fragile, because I don't explicitly control the
saving of files.

One option would be to sync only the org-mode files through DropBox, and
just do what I'd do with any other IMAP email client, and rely on the
server side info to keep mutliple clients "in sync". That's
the whole point of IMAP in the first place. But then I'm guessing the
hyperlinking of org-mode tasks to Gnus messages would break (with links
being valid only on the machine where they were created).

Anyone else doing this kind of thing?

Tommy