[Orgmode] Re: moving in the agenda view is slow

From: Rainer Stengele
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: moving in the agenda view is slow
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 19:25:27 +0100

Am 27.11.2010 18:00, schrieb Nick Dokos:
> Rainer Stengele <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> What I did:
>> open the agenda view
>>
>> M-x elp-instrument-package <RET> org <RET
>> several "n"s - delays are there - same on linux (V23.2.1) and windows emacs
>> M-x elp-results
>>

>> org-agenda-next-line                                          79
>> 4.004141      0.0506853291
>> org-agenda-do-context-action                                  79
>> 0.0013609999  1.722...e-05
>> org-unhighlight                                               81
>> 0.0009170000  1.132...e-05
>> org-get-at-bol                                                79
>> 0.000473      5.987...e-06
>> org-detach-overlay                                            81
>> 0.0002689999  3.320...e-06
>> org-agenda-post-command-hook                                  81
>> 0.0002449999  3.024...e-06
>>
>> strange, why do I not get more details?
>
> Why are there 79 calls to org-agenda-next-line? AFAIK, there should be
> just one for each "n" pressed. Maybe do M-x elp-reset-all, then press
> "n", and M-x elp-results?
>
> The thing is that org-agenda-next-line is very simple:
>
> ,----
> | (defun org-agenda-next-line ()
> |   "Move cursor to the next line, and show if follow mode is active."
> |   (interactive)
> |   (call-interactively 'next-line)
> |   (org-agenda-do-context-action))
> `----
>
> and the calls to org-agend-do-context-action don't amount to much, so
> essentially all of the time must be spent in the (call-interactively
> 'next-line).
>
> Maybe M-x elp-instrument-function <RET> next-line <RET> will give some
> more clues.  I assume call-interactively cannot be instrumented by elp
> since it's in C.
>
> Nick

Nick, elp-reset-all does not work.
Reason for "42" calls is I simply leave my finger on the key for a while
... just to see the result more clear:

org-agenda-next-line                                          42
  2.837738      0.0675651904
org-agenda-do-context-action                                  42
  0.000735      1.75e-05
org-unhighlight                                               44
  0.0004940000  1.122...e-05
org-get-at-bol                                                42
  0.0002630000  6.261...e-06
org-detach-overlay                                            44
  0.0001410000  3.204...e-06
org-agenda-post-command-hook                                  44
  0.0001320000  3.000...e-06

Rainer