[Orgmode] Generated images in buffer

From: Dov Grobgeld
Subject: [Orgmode] Generated images in buffer
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2010 09:04:28 +0200

I'm still feel quite a newbie to org-mode and I've been looking for a way to include "dependent" images within the emacs buffer, but I still haven't found it.

As an example, assume that I have manully created a diagram with ditaa code, and once I am finishede ditingĀ  I'd like to press a keystroke e.g. Ctrl-C Ctrl-C and have the contents change to the generated output image, and the ditaa code will be hidden. When subsequently navigating to the image there should be some indicator that this is a generated image and some keystroke should allow turning the image back to its source code.

The same idea could be used for any system generating images, e.g. LaTeX formulas, asymptote, a python script using cairo, etc.

Similarly if the source code is svg I might not want to display the source code at all (which might be large), but would like to invoke inkscape to edit the svg data. This is better done by referencing the svg as an external image, instead of having it inline, but I would still like to easily invoke an editor application from within emacs with a simple keystroke.

So is this currently possible?

Thanks,
Dov