[Orgmode] Re: Update on Org-mode clone in Vim

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Update on Org-mode clone in Vim
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 09:00:04 -0500

Herbert Sitz <address@hidden> writes:

> Matt Lundin <mdl <at> imapmail.org> writes:
>>
>> I'm curious to see how hyperlinks and capture might work in a vim
>> environment. Being able to call org-capture from anywhere in my Emacs
>> ecosystem (or should I say operating system) has spoiled me. :)
>
> Matt -- Regarding the hyperlinks there's a Vim plugin that already
> seems to have pretty complete hyperlinking functionality.  Just put
> it in your plugin folder and you're good to go with it.  You
> can find it here:

> I haven't done any checking to see what needs to be done to make
> it compatible with Org-mode hyperlinking markup.  I don't think it
> should be too bad.

The syntax does indeed seem similar at points:

http://mars.iti.pk.edu.pl/doc/vim-scripts/html/plugin_utl.vim.html

> At least before 'conceal text' was available in Vim73 I don't
> think there's any good way to hide link details and have just
> the link text appear in the document.  I haven't used Vim73
> or looked at conceal text much, but it seems that feature
> might make it possible to closely replicate the way
> Emacs does things.  I'd be happy to hear suggestions from
> people who know more about this. . .

This is a very interesting development in Vim. I remember that the
ability to hide text (in Org-mode and auctex) was one of the things that
drew me to Emacs in the first place.

> I think there are some other existing Vim plugins that can
> be made use of.  There's a footnoting plugin that I want
> to look into adopting at some point.
>
> Also, I have done
> nothing at all to implement any of Org's table editing
> functionality.  This is pretty much independent of Org
> itself, and I was hoping there was an existing Vim plugin
> that would be somewhere along lines of what's in Org,
> but I haven't found anything close yet.

I'd agree. I remember wishing for a self-aligning table editor in Vim
(let alone a spreadsheet). Then again, it took Carsten's genius to bring
that particular bit of magic to Emacs, so who knows what is possible in
Vim. The Vim/Unix philosophy (which I admire just as much as I admire
the all-in-one "second OS" philosophy behind Emacs) seems to be that
such things are better handled by external programs and that scripting
and integration should take place in the shell, not the editor.[1] All
of which makes an Org-mode clone in Vim a particularly impressive
accomplishment!

Thanks again. I look forward to following your progress.

Best,
Matt

Footnotes:
[1] And why not enjoy the best of both worlds, right?