Re: [Orgmode] Org-mode Code Blocks Manuscript: Request For Comments

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Org-mode Code Blocks Manuscript: Request For Comments
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 07:29:17 -1000

Hi Eric,

On Dec 3, 2010, at 2:26 AM, Eric S Fraga wrote:

"Thomas S. Dye" <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Eric,

On Dec 2, 2010, at 1:13 PM, Eric S Fraga wrote:

[...]

and each is nicely self-contained.  I am a little surprised at the
choice of journal, mind you...
[...]

Would you recommend publishing someplace else?  We hoped list members
would have opinions on this and welcome comments and suggestions.

All the best,
Tom

This is a little outside my field, even though I'm a computer scientist.
I work at the interface between computing and industrial engineering...

Yes, this is what makes the choice difficult.  Org-mode is tough to categorize.  It cuts across field boundaries in sometimes amazing ways.

I was surprised at your choice simply because there appears to be
nothing relevant to statistics about what you have written.  A more
broad computer science journal may make sense, such as "Programming and
Computer Software" from Springer or maybe the "IEEE Transactions on
Software Engineering?"  But I really don't know which are the best
journals for something like this.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions, which we'll follow up.

I think the idea of submitting to JSS came from the functional overlap with Sweave, which is widely used by the R community, and the ease with which compendia can be implemented in Org-mode.  The compendium idea seems to have developed largely within the statistical computing community, with strong ties to R in particular.  JSS is one place the R community congregates, so we thought the article would get some attention there.

Hopefully somebody else from the list will have a better idea!

As usual, you've provided good food for thought.

All the best,
Tom
--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 23.2.1
: using Org-mode version 7.3 (release_7.3.164.gcfd7)