Re: [Orgmode] specifying priority with template expansion

From: David A. Thompson
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] specifying priority with template expansion
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2010 14:42:57 -0800

On 12/03/2010 12:40 PM, Jeff Horn wrote:
Can you give us a better idea of the use case? As I understand,
unprioritzed todos count as "B" by default. Since most of my tasks
have a priority of B, I've never found setting priorities to be
helpful until I sit down to review my work for the day.

I prioritize items that are important (or urgent) with A at the
beginning of the day (no more than a couple, usually). Most items are
"B" and rarely more than half of those get done.

If I want to "sink" an item but keep it scheduled, it gets a priority of "C".

Most of my todos are neither associated with deadlines nor are they scheduled. Schedules and deadlines have seemed a more time-intensive way to go relative to setting priorities (but perhaps this is a 'Green Eggs and Ham' thing?)

These are often things I do not know when recording an item.

I guess the main difference is that I generally am typically able to recognize, when recording a todo, whether it's in the 'urgent/asap' pile (A), the 'try-and-get-it-done-sometime-soon' pile (B), or in a 'sure-would-be-nice-to-get-it-done' pile (C). Given that, it seemed both logical and more efficient to immediately prioritize the item rather than going back later and prioritizing the item.

Thanks for any additional thoughts/suggestions...

- Alan