Re: [Orgmode] How to use headlines and lists in Org to structure your th

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] How to use headlines and lists in Org to structure your thoughts?
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 21:00:31 +0100

On Dec 14, 2010, at 6:13 PM, Karl Maihofer wrote:

The ongoing discussion about inline tasks and drawers withhin lists
much depends on the way you use Org, I think. Perhaps it is a good
idea to brainstorm some fundamental aspects in regard to headlines and
lists.

Why and in which situations do we use lists? I use lists a lot to
write down my thoughts. I think there are mainly two reasons for this:
- Headlines are exported as headlines, not as list items. ;-)

This is, in fact, not correct.  Headlines beyond a certain
level (3 by default) are exported as lists.  You can change
the level where this change happens in a number of different
ways, see for example:

- Carsten

- In Headlines you do not have word wrap. So you always have to phrase
 a headline and then write your text below this headline. For me it
 is much easier to use lists and write, write, write... with word
 wrap.

I think these are the reasons for me to use lists a lot. But if I do
so, I cannot define tasks in my texts - the core concept of Org. To
solve this dilemma, I can think of two different approaches:

1. Make it possible to use inline tasks withhin lists. This is what
  Nicolas implemented (thanks a lot!!!) and what works very well. But
  it is not a "nice" concept. We discussed this already and I
  understand the reasons why Carsten and Nicolas himself have
  reservations. It it only a workaround.
2. Make headlines behave like list items. This means enabling word
  wrap for headlines and export the headlines as lists. If a headline
  should be exported as a headline you could use a tag :HEADLINE:. If
  this would be possible, I cannot see a reason why I should make
  such extensive use of lists.

What do you think? How do you use lists? Do you think the second
approach would make sense? Or do I miss something essential?

Regards,
Karl