Re: [Orgmode] c-c c-e 1 a crashes

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] c-c c-e 1 a crashes
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 23:20:56 -0500

Samuel Wales <address@hidden> wrote:

> Perhaps activate-mark is an emacs 23 function.  Emacs 22, latest org.

That is indeed the reason: I cribbed activate-mark and the variable
select-active-regions from the 23.2 simple.el into an emacs-22.3 session
and the export worked - adding them to your .emacs should presumably be
enough, although there might be other problems that the simple test
would not uncover. Here are the definitions if you want to try:

(defcustom select-active-regions nil
  "If non-nil, an active region automatically becomes the window selection."
  :type 'boolean
  :group 'killing
  :version "23.1")

(defun activate-mark ()
  "Activate the mark."
  (when (mark t)
    (setq mark-active t)
    (unless transient-mark-mode
      (setq transient-mark-mode 'lambda))
    (when (and select-active-regions
               (display-selections-p))
      (x-set-selection 'PRIMARY (current-buffer)))))

Not sure whether the :version property of the variable does anything
other than giving information. It seems to be used in the docstring:

,----
| select-active-regions is a variable defined in `simple.el'.
| Its value is nil
|
| Documentation:
| If non-nil, an active region automatically becomes the window selection.
|
| You can customize this variable.
|
| This variable was introduced, or its default value was changed, in
| version 23.1 of Emacs.
`----

but I don't know if it's used anywhere else.

> Also, I was wondering, how often do people export the current file vs.
> the current region vs. the current subtree?

I generally export whole files, but I don't know how typical my usage is.

> I almost always export the current subtree.  I wonder if most other
> people are that way also.  If not, how do I make c-c c-e always use a
> prefix of 1?

I think you would have to hack the org-export function: both the
key-function associations and the handling of the "1" prefix for subtree
limiting are hard-wired in it.

Nick