[Orgmode] Installing org-mode from git without byte-compiling

From: Jeff Horn
Subject: [Orgmode] Installing org-mode from git without byte-compiling
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 13:43:57 -0500

Bernt, Eric Schulte, and others,

Bernt recently mentioned to me on #org-mode that he doesn't
byte-compile org-mode, which makes it much easier to read backtraces.
I'm trying to use Eric Schulte's starter-kit fork, and the
instructions suggest compiling org-mode.[1]

Inspecting the Makefile, I see that I probably want to make the info
documentation and have that installed automatically, I just don't want
to byte-compile the lisp.

1) Is there a flag or something I can pass to make in order to skip
byte-compiling but perform the rest of the script tasks? (The Makefile
docstring suggests 'make doc' to make html and PDF docs. Will it also
make the info docs and install them automatically?)

2) Out of curiosity, is 'make install' ever necessary when the local
git directory is sourced into the load-path?

TIA

Footnotes:
[1 ]http://eschulte.github.com/emacs-starter-kit/

--