Re: [Orgmode] [OT] Have you also got hooked by Vim?

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] [OT] Have you also got hooked by Vim?
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 16:58:32 +0000

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <address@hidden> writes:

> Hey list,

[...]

> However, I've got hooked. Vim (in my case, MacVim) has conquered my
> hands. I know I'm risking myself a lot by saying it on an
> emacs-related mailing list, but the Vim navigation and the vim model
> in general is much more efficient for editing text.
>
> (Btw, that's what led me into Viper and Vimpulse on emacs, I'm
> currently using them with org)
>
> So, how many of you here also use Vim? :)
>
> Regards,
>
> Marcelo.

Well, I cut my teeth on vi 30+ years ago (yes :(, on Unix V7 on a PDP
11/45 I think it was...) and my fingers still think that hjkl are the
normal keys to use for navigation!  I do like the modal approach of vi.

However, it's the power of Emacs as a development platform
(i.e. infinitely customisable) that means I have been using it for
almost as long and it is my editor of choice for most things.  For quick
and dirty jobs (e.g. add a line or two in some config file while logged
in from my phone), I'll use vi but otherwise it's Emacs.

I did try one or another of the vi modes in Emacs but just basically got
annoyed so gave up...

I am following the development of org on vim closely, mind you, but
haven't tried it out yet.  However, I would need gnus on vim as well ;-)

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 23.2.1
: using Org-mode version 7.4 (release_7.4.168.g0ec8)