Re: [Orgmode] Re: Bug ? : org-babel and calc : calc-command-flags

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Bug ? : org-babel and calc : calc-command-flags
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 11:49:29 -0700

d.tchin <address@hidden> writes:

> Eric Schulte <schulte.eric <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

>> Hi d.tchin,
>>

> Hi Eric
>
>> This problem is caused because (as you point out) the calc-command-flags
>> variable is not defined.  In my Emacs version calc-command-flags is
>> provided by (require 'calc) which is part of Babel's calc support, this
>> variable must be part of another package in your distribution.
>>

> Strange as I can load calc package in emacs. Indeed when I try to
> get information on this variable with C-h v, there is nothing.
> I have a look on calc.el and I have the following lines (1428):
>
> (defvar calc-aborted-prefix nil)
> (defvar calc-start-time nil)
> (defvar calc-command-flags)
> (defvar calc-final-point-line)
> (defvar calc-final-point-column)
>
> Indeed, when I tried to use C-h v on the two first variable, it match.
> But not for the following. The main difference is that the first two
> variable have the nil value and not the following.

the use of defvar without giving the variable a value is a trick to
appease the elisp compiler when a variable is used without being
required.  I imagine that the `calc-command-flags' variable is defined
in some other calc file, which the calc authors assumed would already be
loaded by the time calc is required.

>> As a work around you should find which calc package provides the
>> calc-command-flags variable and manually require that package, which
>> should resolve this problem.  More generally it may be useful to upgrade
>> from Emacs 22 if that is an option.
>>

> I put a (require 'calc) in my .emacs. It is still not working.
> I decide to put the following instruction in my .emacs :
>
> (require 'calc)
> (defvar calc-command-flags nil)
>
> Then it works !

That may be the simplest work-around for now, unless you can find the
calc file that actually does define that variable.

Best -- Eric