[Orgmode] Re: Minor gotcha with org-agenda-files

From: Tommy Kelly
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Minor gotcha with org-agenda-files
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 11:41:45 -0600

suvayu ali <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 5:31 PM, Tommy Kelly <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I just figured out why, despite having a setq in my .emacs, my
>> org-agenda-files wasn't what I thought it should be.
>>
>> It's because if you modify that variable using C-c [ or C-c ], then any
>> explicit setq is rendered obsolete by the custom-set-variables
>> entry that gets added automatically.
>>

> This is nothing org specific. Its how customise works. This is the
> reason people are encouraged to _not_ mix customise with setq. I for
> example use customise for everything except org settings.

Ah but hang on.

First, is it reasonable to consider it obvious (I mean, it wasn't to me)
that using C-c [ invokes customize?

Second, even if it is reasonable, isn't it the case that customize
offers a temporary change of variables? You have to explicitly ask it to
make the change permanent, no?

Overall, it just caught me unawares that C-c [ should write something in
one of my files without even telling me let alone asking me. Maybe it's
just me though.

Tommy