Re: [Orgmode] Re: Minor gotcha with org-agenda-files

From: suvayu ali
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Minor gotcha with org-agenda-files
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 09:15:44 +0100

Hi Tommy and Eric,

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 8:59 PM, Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> wrote:
> Tommy Kelly <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> suvayu ali <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> This is nothing org specific. Its how customise works. This is the
>>> reason people are encouraged to _not_ mix customise with setq. I for
>>> example use customise for everything except org settings.
>>
>> Ah but hang on.
>>
>> First, is it reasonable to consider it obvious (I mean, it wasn't to me)
>> that using C-c [ invokes customize?
>>
>> Second, even if it is reasonable, isn't it the case that customize
>> offers a temporary change of variables? You have to explicitly ask it to
>> make the change permanent, no?
>
> It would indeed be friendlier if this were done here as well.

I am not familiar with how to interface ui with customize so I don't
know whether its possible or not, but there are many instances in
emacs where this is done as standard practice. For example marking
certain file local variables as safe, or turning on some special
behaviour when invoked for the first time (e.g. side scrolling).
However I do recall all of these prompts the user whether they want to
keep the settings temporary or make it permanent. So I would say its a
Request for Feature Enhancement / Bug rather than a mere documentation
bug.

--
Suvayu