[Orgmode] Re: Clocking repeating tasks

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Clocking repeating tasks
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 10:37:05 -0500

Jeff Horn <address@hidden> writes:

> I just started using clocking and effort to plan my work, and I have a
> lot of repeating tasks. I'd like the clock summary to reflect how much
> I've worked on the task "recently".
>
> Is there a variable to control how the clock summary is generated? In
> particular, I'm looking for it to only sum the clocks from the last
> time the task was marked "DONE".
>
> I see three possible solutions, but none were obviously mentioned in
> the manual or on Worg.
> 1) A variable exists to control this, and I don't know about it
> 2) I could work around it by having the clock cleared on "DONE" (I
> don't like destroying data)
> 3) Or, the task shoved into a "clock history" drawer or something (I
> don't know how to implement this myself)

Hi Jeff,

The clocking total for the task on the modeline should reflect how much
time you have clocked since the last time you marked the task DONE.
org-mode records a property LAST_REPEAT which had the time you completed
the task last.  The modeline clock value counts minutes since that time.

The modeline should have both your current clocking total time (since
last repeat) and the effort limit displayed (as the limit).

HTH,
Bernt