Re: [Orgmode] Status google calendar sync

From: Arun Persaud
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Status google calendar sync
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 11:43:04 -0800

Hi

> I try this and get absolutely nothing.  Just an empty calendar line.
> I am using the latest (0.9.12), BTW.  If you enter
>
>   google --help
>
> part of the help is:
>
>   --fields=FIELDS       Fields to list with list task.

I got an older version (0.9.5)... all of this makes me think that it
probably is better to just use .ics files for everything. Just found out
that google offers a 'private' link to each calendar as xml, ical or
html so that you can easily download it using wget without needing to
log in...

>>[...]
> Perhaps, but one of the things I want to do is to share a couple of my
> Google calendars with specific groups of people. I have a home, work,
> and two different teaching calendars.  If I have an .ics file on my
> machine that doesn't help much in the sharing, does it?  I don't know
> as I have never used an .ics file for anything yet.
>
> I would like to maintain info about upcoming classes in my org file and,
> when things change, update the calendar with the appropriate
> information.  Occasionally I have had to reschedule classes, for
> example, or break a single session into two sessions.  What I want is
> to publish the resulting information after all my org file manipulations
> are done so my students can see the results.

You can point google calendar to an .ics file and it will import it
(settings->import calendar) (see [1]), so I would think you could create
different .ics files via org-export-icalendar-..., upload them to a
public webpage (but with a cryptic name and directory browsing disabled,
so that only you and google calendar can find the files) and google
imports them as different calendars and updates them too.

Arun

[1] http://www.google.com/support/calendar/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=37100