Re: [Orgmode] org-latex and figures

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] org-latex and figures
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 06:42:38 -1000

On Jan 28, 2011, at 5:56 AM, Eric S Fraga wrote:

Chris Malone <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Andrea,

I'm inclined to agree with Tom - there is no default that will work in all instances. That being said, you can use an #ATTR_LATEX line to modify the
placement for each image - see here:
http://orgmode.org/org.html#Images-in-LaTeX-export

Alternatively, (and this is very much a hack, which I can't guarantee will work) you could make the org-mode default behaviour be [ptb] by replacing
the =(floatp "[htb]")= line with =(floatp "[ptb]")= in the
=org-export-latex-format-image= function definition in the file
org/lisp/org-latex.el ... you would have to do something similar to the
=org-export-latex-tables= function for tables.

HTH,
Chris

I'm not understanding something in this whole thread: all the example
options seem to imply that 'h' and 'p' are somehow exclusive.  I have
always used [hbtp] (a sequence that essentially says: put the figure in
place as soon as you can), sometimes with and sometimes without '!'
before the h, and I have never had reason to complain about the
placement of figures!

Well, for some journals/conferences, I've had to adapt this to [hp] if
they insist on figures always at the top of a page... but I always have
both h and p options.

Just my two ¢s...

Hi Eric,

Floats are tricky in LaTeX. The two most frequent problems, in my experience, are the "all the floats at the end" problem that bit Andrea and the "small float on its own page" problem. The first of these comes from not including [p] and the second comes from including [p]. I think you have to pick your poison here--there doesn't seem to be a default that always works perfectly.

If you want to avoid both problems, as I do, then I find the best default strategy to be [htb!], with [p] used for figures that are designed specifically to fit the whole page. What this implies is that figures are designed to fit the printed page, with a preference for figures that are short and wide and a strong aversion to figures that are tall and narrow (except, perhaps, with two-column layouts, which have their own drawbacks).

For figures at the top of a page, you probably want [tp] rather than [hp], since [h] will let a figure start anywhere in happens to fall on the page.

All the best,
Tom