Re: [Orgmode] Combination of =code= and Description

From: Erik Iverson
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Combination of =code= and Description
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2011 14:09:25 -0600

Bastien wrote:
Hi Rainer,

Rainer M Krug <address@hidden> writes:

I would like to have a description as follow:

- first :: some text
- second :: some more text
- =code= :: some additional text

but =code= is not formatted as bold. If I say

- \bold{=code=} :: some additional text

I get, as one could expect, "=code=" in bold.

Is it possible to get code in bold?

Yes. For now it produces:

,----
| \begin{description}
| \item[first]some text
| \item[second]some more text
| \item[\texttt{code}]some additional text
| \end{description}
`----

where \texttt{code} is not taken into account.

But

  \item[{\texttt code}]some additional text

would do the job. I don't know what are the LaTeX conventions regarding the use of {\texttt ...} vs. \texttt{...} constructs.

Any LaTeX guru here?

Certainly not a guru, but if you look at the zoomed-in PDF
output of your second attempt above:

 \item[{\texttt code}]some additional text,

you'll see that only the first letter 'c' is written in
typewriter font, and the rest are bold.  This is because
you did not use brackets to group the argument, so it only
passes the first letter it sees.

So if you do use brackets, you'll note that you only get
typewriter font, and not in bold: why is this?

I believe that, http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=bold-extras
explains that Computer Modern fonts do not come with a bold
teletype font.  The page offers some solutions for you if you
want this.

This is what I believe is happening anyway, and would be happy
to be corrected by a true guru!

--Erik Iverson