[Orgmode] Back from FOSDEM

From: Bastien
Subject: [Orgmode] Back from FOSDEM
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2011 10:47:19 +0100

Hi all,

we have had a good time at FOSDEM.  It was great to meet Carsten, Stefan
Vollmar, Sebastien Vauban, Jose E. Marchesi, Brian Gough and others.

Special thanks to Stefan, who presented a very nice use cas at his lab,
and to Sébastien who presented a few Org Babel examples.  Org cannot be
presented without Org Babel.

The devroom was fully packed, which is about 100 people.  I expected to
"introduce" Org and to try to convert some people, but about 70% of the
audience was already using Org!  So the presentation was really a mix of
generalities and a live demo of some features (to be honest: I was a bit
stressful and tired, I wish I did a better job.)

Note for later: when talking to hackers, forget about the slides and
have direct fun with an Org-mode buffer, display the *magic* of with no
taboo -- questions will come along as you hit some neat feature.

I've put my slides here:

  http://lumiere.ens.fr/~guerry/u/org-fosdem-presentation-beamer.pdf

One point I made : what's special about Org is that it's a reflexive
tool, one that lets you discover the way you work and the way you want
to work.  Forget about getting "disciplined" by some external digital
secretary, start by having fun discovering yourself with a tool that
has virtually no learning curve (or "just" that of Emacs itself...)

One surprising discovery: we never had and we don't have a roadmap.
I'm fine with this and I don't plan to set up one.  Better to do things
rather than planning to do them.

Best,

--
 Bastien