Re: [Orgmode] org-git-link does not support locational information withi

From: Leo Alekseyev
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] org-git-link does not support locational information within file
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 03:14:20 -0500

> ** Shortcomings of git-link in current org HEAD
> Yet, org-git-link currently is too greedy for my daily use:
>  1. they kill org-links for org headings, if the org files are
>    versioned in a git repository (and all of mine are!) and
>  2. they kill in-file-search information for versioned non-org files.

The discussion so far focused on extending the link syntax to allow
multiple pieces of "location" information (e.g. location within the
repository + location within the file), which is a good idea.
However, I think the bigger problem with org-git-link in its current
incarnation is that it forces me to use git:// links for all files
under version control, which is NOT what I want to do 90% of the time.
 I have a quick hack to deal with this -- namely, commenting out

;; (add-hook 'org-store-link-functions 'org-git-store-link t)

and using a separate keybinding for storing git links using the
following function:

(defun org-git-store-link-interactively (arg)
  "Store git link to current file."
  (interactive "P")
  (let ((org-store-link-functions (cons 'org-git-store-link
org-store-link-functions)))
    (call-interactively 'org-store-link arg)
))

In addition, I'm not crazy about using the "address@hidden" format for
storing links by default, so I hacked something that uses SHA1
instead...  I could post a patch if anyone is curious.

--Leo