[Orgmode] Re: Does Effort support hours only?

From: Herbert Sitz
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Does Effort support hours only?
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 22:40:15 +0000 (UTC)

Lawrence Mitchell <wence <at> gmx.li> writes:

> > Being able to specify suffixes like `d' for days or `w' for weeks would be
> > awesome. But I guess it's very, very complex, though.
>
> Turns out probably not, unless I've missed something.  I think
> this set of patches does what's necessary to allow duration
> strings in effort properties.  And as a bonus its backwards
> compatible to the old style.  Try it and see if it works, if it
> does I'll roll it into a proper patch.

Lawrence --

I didn't test the patch, but it looks like it's hard coded to treat 24 hours as
1 day, 168 hours as 1 week, etc.  This seems like it would create more confusion
than there was before.

In the context of measuring effort I think it's far more common to treat, e.g, 8
hours as the equivalent of a day's work.  Most people have 5 day works weeks,
but some don't. Etc.  In any case, giving user ability to set their own
conversion factors seems like a much-needed part of this.

-- Herb