Re: [Orgmode] Re: indentation for section headings vs bulleted lists

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: indentation for section headings vs bulleted lists
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 13:39:20 +0100

On Feb 20, 2011, at 1:19 PM, Nicolas wrote:

Hello,

Linus Arver <address@hidden> writes:

Again, I'm very curious why org-mode's indenting code treats bulleted
lists differently than section headings.

This is due to a combination of org-indent-mode and visual-line-mode.
Actually, it's a a two-parts problem.

Firstly, org-indent-mode only works by sections. That means the whole
section gets the same indent prefix, whatever can be inside. Thus, lists
cannot be treated differently for now.

Secondly, org-indent-mode is not indenting anything: it only fakes it.
While this is fine for headings, this causes problems with lists, which
are depending on real indentation.

Anyway, I'm on it. I'll post a patch as soon as I find and implement a
decent way to solve this.

Hi Nicolas,
while it might be posible to add additional line-prefix stuff to
plain lists, you need to be careful about performance.
I wrote several (I believe 4) different versions of
org-indent-mode before behavior was reasonably consistent
and fast enough.

Cheers

- Carsten