Re: [Orgmode] Re: question about capture templates

From: Filippo A. Salustri
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: question about capture templates
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 19:39:25 -0500

Thanks to everyone for the varied and thoughtful responses.  I didn't think of backquotes, but I know about them from Scheme, and no, they shouldn't work in this case.

Very frustrating.  org-capture clearly has the original buffer handy (for %a stuff) yet I can't get it out of there without hacking the org code, which I am loathe to do.  Hmmm.  I'll think some more.  If I come up with anything; I'll report it.

Cheers.
Fil

2011/2/21 Sébastien Vauban <address@hidden>
Hi Richard,

Richard Lawrence wrote:
> Sébastien Vauban <address@hidden> writes:
>> "Filippo A. Salustri" wrote:
>>> I would really like to be able to vary the file into which a captured item
>>> goes. Specifically, I'd like to insert the item into whatever file I was
>>> visiting when I started the capture.
>
>> You have to use backquotes so that expressions are considered as code to
>> execute, instead of data. See Emacs manual.
>
> I'm not sure that backquotes will do what the OP wants. Backquotes will
> allow the OP to compute the value of a target file at the time the (setq
> org-capture templates ...) form is evaluated. The OP needs a way to
> determine the target file at the time of capture (right?), not at the time
> the variable is set.

You're definitely right. I missed the distinction "at Org launch time" vs "at
execution time"... Pull my answer off the records ;-)

Best regards,
 Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban