Re: [Orgmode][babel] How-to realise a simplified usage scenario?

From: Torsten Wagner
Subject: Re: [Orgmode][babel] How-to realise a simplified usage scenario?
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 18:43:13 +0900

Hi Eric,

you are right. All this was just pseudo code to show how I guess it could look like not a request to implement it that way. As I said I'm aware that many of the mentioned tasks could be done by org-babel already. I'm a (not very frequent) org-babel user of the first hour. Please let me try to condense my first mail down to different points and introduce them one by one

* Introduce a new command or extend the inline src command to return values of the target language formatted in org-mode raw data. This command would be replaced by the raw-org-mode string on export.

Thus,
var_sessionname[%2.3g]{x} returns the variable x string with scientific notation. var_sessionname[%2.3g,row]{list} returns a table row of values with scientific notation var_sessionname[name: filename.png]{plot_object} saves plot_object into a file named filename.png and returns the following
[[file:filename.png]]

This would greatly help to use the results of the source code within the org-mode text. As you might see, it might be very nice and helpful to write a org-babel support module for the specific target language. e.g., python could have a modul org-babel and within this module a command org-babel(var) converts the type of variable into a org-mode raw string. It would be far more easy to do this in the target language which is aware of the nature of its own different objects. Addtionaly this command can be threaded differently for tangling code. If code gets tangled, all commands are converted in approbate print commands. E.g. var_sessionname[%2.3g]{x} would be tangled to
print "x = %2.3g" % x

Hope this is more easy to parse :)

Torsten

CC.
I work on an example of "Reproducible Research with org-babel and python". This should serve the purpose to explain what I want to do as well as serve as a template for "my later me" and others. As soon as I have something usable, I would like to send it to you (or post it here) to discuss possible changes. After that you might like to add it to the babel-worg website.