Re: [O] making flexible table formulas

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [O] making flexible table formulas
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 10:08:52 +0100

On 28.2.2011, at 18:35, Rustom Mody wrote:

> When using orgmode for hacking on data in a table (org a la spreadsheet)  I
> have this situation
> Say I am concentrating on column 2 and I want the bottom cell to be the sum
> of the above cells
> For a 7 row table with 8th row having the total I get
>
>   #+TBLFM: @8$2=vsum(@address@hidden)
>
> But now I have a problem: If say I add a row to the table then the next time
> I recompute the formula(s) the ninth row is not affected and the 8th row
> which is now data gets overwritten with a computation.

Hi Rustom,

in addition to the excellent advice you have already gotten in this thread,
I would like to add the following piece of information (if only to make
the thread a more complete online reference):

Apparently you have been inserting new rows with normal editing commands like
RET or `C-o'.  If you use Org's special commands to insert new rows, for example
M-S-<down> on the last row, the row references in the formula will be adjusted

 @9$2=vsum(@address@hidden)

So you see that the @8 has become a @9.  However, the @7 has not been
adjusted because Org has no way of telling what you meant.  So even if
you write your formula with @8$2=, you should use relative references to
refer to the fields when summing:

@8$2==vsum(@address@hidden)

Anyhow, the methods proposed by Nick and Luke are much better in this case.

Hope this helps

- Carsten