[O] Re: org-src-fontify-natively makes things very, very slow

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: [O] Re: org-src-fontify-natively makes things very, very slow
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 21:34:45 +0100

Hi all,

Eric S Fraga wrote:
> Julian Burgos <address@hidden> writes:
>> I was very excited to discover org-src-fontify-natively, but I´m not having
>> a good experience with it. When it is on, org-mode becomes very slow while
>> typing into a code block. This happens regardless of the size of the file
>> or number of blocks, and the slow down is very noticeable. Each keystroke
>> takes about half a second to appear in screen. Typing outside of the code
>> blocks everything works fine. Turning off font-lock-verbose and
>> global-linum-mode did not make any difference. I´m running OrgMode 7.5 and
>> GNU Emacs 23.2.1. on Windows XP.
>>
>> Any ideas?

Idem for me. Slow(er) in Org buffer itself.

> If you edit the source code block in its native mode (C-c',
> =org-edit-special=), is it fast or slow?

Fast(er) in dedicated buffer.

> In any case, this may be related to the thread on slow behaviour
> discussed on this list the past few days.  Does the response improve if
> you kill the buffer and load the file again?

Maybe this is (partly?) due to the overlay I added:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
                (overlay-put (make-overlay beg1 block-end)
                             'face 'org-block-background))
#+end_src

in function

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(defun org-fontify-meta-lines-and-blocks (limit)
#+end_src

in file org.el.

Best regards,
  Seb