Re: [O] Custom Agenda View for Projects

From: Josh Berry
Subject: Re: [O] Custom Agenda View for Projects
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 12:31:19 -0700

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 10:57, Jason McBrayer <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 6:55 PM, Josh Berry <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> I think org considers child tasks to be dependencies of the parent
>> task -- so if a parent task (such as your PROJ) has children, it won't
>> be displayed in a tags-todo agenda view, because that takes
>> dependencies into account.
>
> That's a logical explanation, but shouldn't this only be the case if
> the parent has the :ORDERED: property set?

No, if :ORDERED: is set, then each child is a dependency of the next
child.  So if you have:

* TODO top
   ... :ORDERED: t ...
** TODO a
** TODO b
** TODO c

Only "a" will appear in your agenda view.  But if you have:

* TODO top
** TODO a
** TODO b
** TODO c

All children of "top"--that is, "a", "b" and "c"--will appear.
However, in neither case will "top" appear, because it has children
that are not yet completed.

>> Have you tried just a "tags" view with a match of "TODO=\"PROJ\""?
>> IIRC this will do what you want.
>
> I gave this a test, and apparently it does not. What's shown is still
> dependent on the value of org-enforce-todo-dependencies.

I see, it does not, my bad.  I tried experimenting a bit on my own,
and didn't find an easy way using just agendas.

You might consider experimenting with Stuck Projects though.  If you
consider all projects to be "stuck", you could probably build an
agenda view that shows you all projects regardless of what's in them.
(I don't use stuck projects myself, so YMMV.)

-- Josh