Re: [O] Re: Continuation of main section text after subsections ?

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [O] Re: Continuation of main section text after subsections ?
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 07:00:03 -1000

On Mar 27, 2011, at 6:45 AM, Nick Dokos wrote:

Marcel van der Boom <address@hidden> wrote:

When writing I tend to think about org headings as 'handles' to a
logical block of information, including its child blocks. Apparently my
analogy clashes with what org-mode wants. I had my hopes on a
customization option.

Is there a strong reason this could not work as an option in org- mode?

I'm sure that patches would be welcome, but I think you'd find it
difficult to specify, let alone implement. In particular, how do you
tell where the section 1.1.1 stuff ends and the section 1 stuff begins
again? And would the extra stuff be part of section 1 or (sub)section
1.1? Why? And don't forget this is all just text, so any markup has to
be minimal, intuitive and as unobtrusive as possible.

The devil is in the details.

Nick

I don't think the limitation is Org-mode's. Marcel's structure simply deviates from proper outline structure. His situation is typically handled in linear text with footnotes, and in non-linear text with links, both of which Org-mode implements without issue.

Tom