[O] Re: [Orgmode] Automatic screenshot insertion

From: Russell Adams
Subject: [O] Re: [Orgmode] Automatic screenshot insertion
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 09:43:27 -0500

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 08:35:23PM +0100, David Maus wrote:
> At Thu, 18 Nov 2010 18:16:22 +0100,
> Jonathan BISSON wrote:
> >
> > Here is a little function that allows a user to insert a screenshot
> > easily. Only works on unix-like systems where ImageMagick is installed
> > (adapt "import" to your screenshot program if needed).
> >

> Nice.  Do you mind of I put the function on Org mode'S wiki (Worg) in
> the "Org hacks" page?[1]
>
> Best,
>   -- David
>
> [1] http://orgmode.org/worg/org-hacks.php
> --
> OpenPGP... 0x99ADB83B5A4478E6
> Jabber.... address@hidden
> Email..... address@hidden

I made a minor change. File names are now generated by using the
current org buffer filename, plus the date and time, and a unique
number. This allows me to sort out the images better.

                          (defun org-screenshot ()
                            "Take a screenshot into a time stamped unique-named
file in the same directory as the org-buffer and insert a link to this file."
                            (interactive)
                            (setq filename
                                  (concat
                                   (make-temp-name
                                    (concat (buffer-file-name)
                                            "_"
                                            (format-time-string
                            (call-process "import" nil nil nil filename)
                            (insert (concat "[[" filename "]]"))
                            (org-display-inline-images))

Russell Adams                            address@hidden