[O] Re: Using babel to generate a commit log

From: Luke Crook
Subject: [O] Re: Using babel to generate a commit log
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 18:08:10 +0000 (UTC)

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos <at> hp.com> writes:

> Luke Crook <luke <at> balooga.com> wrote:
>
> > Jambunathan K <kjambunathan <at> gmail.com> writes:
> >

> > I changed my code to wait until the 'Git' process completes. Luckily "vc-
call-
> > backend" returns the async process.
> >

> ... or you could use a sentinel
>
> One bit of defensive programming might be to check that status *is* a
> process before you do the wait: vc-do-command returns a real status in
> the synchronous case, so if you cut-n-paste this code with some other
> command that does not use async, it'll blow up.

I have modified the code to only check the status if the process is actually
running;

          (with-temp-buffer
          (let ((status (vc-call-backend backend
                                             'print-log
                                             files
                                             (current-buffer))))
          (when (= 0 (process-exit-status status))
              (while (not (eq 'exit (process-status status)))
                 (sit-for 1 t)))

I'm not sure about using a sentinel though as this is just a callback that is
executed when the process completes. Wouldn't the sentinel fire after the
source
block has returned?

Or do you mean to wait until a variable set by the sentinel returns t?

-Luke