Re: [O] Using orgmode to take "inline notes" for research

From: Jeff Horn
Subject: Re: [O] Using orgmode to take "inline notes" for research
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 00:19:22 -0400

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 12:33 PM, John Hendy <address@hidden> wrote:
> So... if I were just interested in my notes (say I wanted to just push
> the notes to my blog or share them without all the other text), it
> might get odd to see all of those headlines. Can one export just the
> text and hide the headline text altogether? And would this also create
> the appearance of simply paragraphs one after the other, or would
> there be some increased spacing between different chunks?

AFAIK, "inline-tasks" don't have to have headlines. For instance:

,----[ org-inlinetask example ]
| *************** NOTES
| Test note with a headline word.
| *************** END
|
| ***************
| Test note with blank headline.
| *************** END
`----

exports to ASCII as:

,----[ ASCII export ]
|      -- NOTES
|          ¦ Test note with a headline word.
|
|      --
|          ¦ Test note with blank headline.
`----

> Lastly, it would be fantastic to have a "toggle" on the style used for
> export of these. I would love to be able to have the inline notes
> perhaps indented a little bit, but when exporting them alone, to turn
> that off.

That's out of my depth. Maybe someone else has a suggestion?

> Thanks for the suggestion!

No problem. As a note for others searching on this, I'll just go ahead
and re-iterate that if you don't want a particular inline-task to be
printed, just add the :noexport: tag to the headline.

Sebastian, or others: One is able to add properties to inline-style
headlines correct? John could add an HTML container class property and
use a stylesheet to play with HTML export, including "indentation",
but I don't know if there is any equivalent help from the LaTeX
exporter.

--
Jeffrey Horn
http://www.failuretorefrain.com/jeff/