Re: [O] Occurance property, or some similar name?

From: Christopher Allan Webber
Subject: Re: [O] Occurance property, or some similar name?
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 15:52:08 -0500

Matt Lundin <address@hidden> writes:

> There is a special property name for active timestamps: TIMESTAMP. You
> can access the first active timestamp in an entry (either with column
> view or org-entry-get) via the special property TIMESTAMP. Inactive
> timestamps = TIMESTAMP_IA.

Hm, that's interesting.  But I'm not talking about a way to access it
via elisp, I'm talking about a place to actually put it in say, the
property drawer.  Say:

** Pick up bike from the shop
   :PROPERTIES:
   :OCCURANCE: <2011-04-12 Tue 19:00>
   :END:

etc.

It's nice to know there's a meta-property for TIMESTAMP, but I'm
specifically looking for a nice place to put that timestamp away.  This
is for cleanliness / easy get-set purposes.

>>  - Maybe if we formalize this property, we should make a command for it?
>>    Maybe C-c C-S-o?
>
> There is currently a command to change plain active timestamps from the
> agenda. (In fact, this will also change SCHEDULED and DEADLINE
> timestamps when on a SCHEDULED or DEADLINE line.)
>
>         org-agenda-date-prompt (>)
>
> AFAIK, there is no similar built-in function to call on headlines in org
> files. One can, however, navigate to the timestamp and use the
> Shift-arrow keys or C-c . to change the appointment.

That's useful, and would change this property even if I put it in such a
drawer... provided that property already existed.  But what if I want to
insert something on a currently un-OCCURANCE'd (or whatever) thing?  I
don't want it to go on the headline, that looks gross.

>>  - It would be nice to formalize this so we could actually steer people
>>    in the right direction in the docs.
>
> What would you suggest adding to the following pages?
>
> (info "(org) Creating timestamps")
> (info "(org) Special properties")

That's entirely dependent on if we can suggest a property for this
behavior.  It doesn't have to be mandatory.

I'm partly trying to see if other people want this as much as I do.
Surely I'm not the only one who finds putting active timestamps on the
headline or scattered just anywhere in the entry kind of gross?

I do appreciate your useful reply, though!

 - Chris

--
𝓒𝓱𝓻𝓲𝓼𝓽𝓸𝓹𝓱𝓮𝓻 𝓐𝓵𝓵𝓪𝓷 𝓦𝓮𝓫𝓫𝓮𝓻