Re: [O] Bug: symbol function's definition is null : signum [7.5]

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: symbol function's definition is null : signum [7.5]
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 18:40:51 -0400

Sylvain Beucler <address@hidden> wrote:

> When using S-<up> to modify a date with an our range in Org 7.5, I get
> "symbol function's definition is null : signum".
>
> E.g. <2011-03-10 jeu. 10:30-11:30>
>
> It appears that (org-modify-ts-extra) is using this function, but
> unlike in CL isn't not an elisp built-in :)
>
> As a work-around I added an internal defun:
> (defun org-modify-ts-extra (s pos n dm)
>   "Change the different parts of the lead-time and repeat fields in
> timestamp."
>   (defun signum (x)
>     (cond
>      ((> x 0)  1)
>      ((< x 0) -1)
>      ((= x 0)  0)))
> [...]

What version of emacs are you using?

For emacs 24 at least, it's defined in cl-extra.el (which is distributed
with emacs itself).  That in turn is loaded when cl is loaded and there
are plenty of places where org does a (require 'cl), e.g. when loading
org.el or org-agenda.el; but it may be that you have found a path in
that does not do so, however unlikely that scenario is.

So you can probably resolve the problem by adding a (require 'cl)
somewhere in your .emacs. But if you can, it would be worthwhile to
figure out how you end up in that situation, so the (require 'cl) can be
added to the appropriate place.

If you are using emacs 23 or earlier, the above might not be applicable,
but you probably can still resolve the problem the same way: adding a
(require 'cl) in your .emacs. If that does not resolve it, then adding a
(require 'cl-extra) as well should certainly do so.

Nick