Re: [O] emdash and endash

From: Ben Finney
Subject: Re: [O] emdash and endash
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 14:55:01 +1000

Samuel Wales <address@hidden> writes:

> 1 dash: - 2 -- 3 ---
> 1 dash: - 2 – 3 —
>
> When I write in ASCII, I notate emdash like "--".  I think this is
> standard.

I think not. I see many (non-Org) ASCII documents that distinguish a
notional em dash from en dash by different number of hyphens, as in your
first list.

> I never use "---" in ASCII. Is there a way to make "--" export as
> emdash in order to be consistent with ASCII?

“Consistent with ASCII”? ASCII has neither en dash nor em dash, so it's
not ASCII that you're wanting to be consistent with. You're referring to
conventions that attempt to preserve Unicode characters in ASCII.

--
 \       “… whoever claims any right that he is unwilling to accord to |
  `\             his fellow-men is dishonest and infamous.” —Robert G. |