Re: [O] Continuation of main section text after subsections

From: Colin Fraizer
Subject: Re: [O] Continuation of main section text after subsections
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 11:34:19 -0400

Was there ever a conclusion from this discussion?

I think I want something very similar to what Mr. van der Boom requested. I
have outlines that contain varying amounts of text (paragraphs) and then, to
avoid forgetting some task, I add a TODO item somewhere in the middle. That
TODO item absorbs all the text following it until the next headline at the same
or higher level.

For example, if I have an outline like

--------------
* Section 1
* Section 2
Paragraph 1
:
:
Paragraph 10
* Section 3
---------------

If I insert a TODO item after paragraph 3 and then collapse the outline, it
hides paragraphs 4-10 as if they were part of that TODO item, even if they are
unrelated.

I understand that this is not "proper" outline structure, but I was under the
impression many people used org-mode for outlining /and/ for TODOs. ;-)

Syntax like "** END" to end the TODO (or other subtree) would, I think, do what
I want. Based on my cursory look at it, I imagine one could simply change
org-end-of-subtree to treat "^** END" specially (where the number of stars is
the level). Normally, it would end with point at the beginning of the line "^**
END" (treating as the next headline at the same or higher level) and return
that as end of the tree.. However, I'd like for it to put point at the
beginning of the line following that "fake" headline.

Then, you could suppress export of "^\\*+ END$".

I don't really see a reason not to do this, but perhaps I'm naively overlooking
a big problem.

--Colin