Re: [O] particular capture method for a diet .. ?

From: Stinky Wizzleteet
Subject: Re: [O] particular capture method for a diet .. ?
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2011 20:04:26 +0200

Christopher Allan Webber <address@hidden> writes:

> Stinky Wizzleteet <address@hidden> writes:

-snip-

> I think if you're at approximately 45% of your metabolism or more for
> your daily caloric needs, it'll be fine.  I wouldn't recommend anyone
> going lower than 1200 calories per day though.
>
> Anyway, I'm at 1300-1600 calories / day now, it's not quite as super
> fast of weight loss (about 7 pounds / month, still not bad!), but still
> quite a bit of weight loss.  I think if you have a lot of weight to lose
> you probably don't need to worry about it too much.
>
> Also note that I barely exercised at all during my diet... when I did
> exercise, I lost weight a little bit faster, but I simply don't believe
> it's necessary for weight loss.  If you want to do it, great, but it's
> simply easier to figure out how to eat the right amount of foods to feel
> satisfied while having a serious calorie deficit.

OK, I'll remember this.
I *should* exercise though, but that is definitely not for weightloss,
more for stress management and keeping the rsi at bay.

-snip-

> https://gitorious.org/org-diet/org-diet
>
> I've gone and done it.  I haven't finished writing README.org but I've
> added a base org-diet file to start with, the capture template in the
> orgmode file, etc.

Hey cool !
checked out already. will use it asap.

> I've even checked in my whole embarassing diet.org file for you to see.
> You'll notice that a few months into the thing I became a vegetarian,
> but that was for ethical, not dietary reasons. :)

me vega too, welcome !

> Once I am completely not a fat guy, I will upload the final diet.org.
>
> As for how to find out how many calories things are I usually took three
> approaches:
>
>  - I used the program Food File, to which I made a couple of patches to
>    make it run on GNU/Linux... I guess I should make those available
>    soon.  It *was* released as free software under the GPL, not sure if
>    the version online is still released as such.
>  - Reading the back of packages
>  - Looking at pre-existing data in my orgmode file.  Usually I'd split
>    the file vertically and in one pane have my current daily diet table
>    at point, in the other I'd be isearching for things I've already
>    eaten... usually while dieting I tend to eat the same types of things
>    a lot, but I've collected a vast amount of caloric information in
>    there... maybe you can find how to eat a satisfying daily amount of
>    calories by looking at some of my example days with successful
>    CAL-OUT "clocking"
>  - I just googled for things I didn't know.
>
> Hope this is helpful to people!  I'll add more docs later.
>
> (PS: the elisp is hacky, don't say I didn't warn you.)
Myself, I created a little list with most of my regular foods,
googled/backs of packcages and such and I kept them as a kcal/gram list.
I also maintained a list of my usual servings, measured the mugs and
cups I regularly used, some with a counter intuitive result.

I'm sure these two lists could be maintained in an org or even a bbdb,
But many pains must be suffered for this functionality and I found that my
personal lists never exceeded more than 50 items. Hardly database
material, so not a priority for my case.

thanks, wzzl

--
Stinky Wizzleteet thinks:
What happened last night can happen again.