Re: [O] Begginer using orgmode

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] Begginer using orgmode
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 22:38:45 -0500

On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 8:19 PM, Arnold, Travis <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 25 Apr, 2011, at 8:21 PM, John Hendy wrote:
>
>> I'd just recommend installing whatever version of emacs you want and
>> then install org from git. Dead simple, no confusion about being up to
>> date, etc.
>>
>> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#keeping-current-with-Org-mode-development
>>

> Ok, looking through  that, it seems slightly more complicated then I am
> currently comfortable with, does this require me to have some sort of server
> running, or is it a client-server thing, with my mac as the client getting
> whatever it needs from the repository? Apperently I the other .emacs file
> someone posted does not work for whatever reason with the defualt emacs in
> Mac OS X, it lost all formatting, stars, TODO's etc. Am playing around in
> Aquaemacs for now and the org buttons, are rather nice I admit.
> -Travis

Probably just the wording scaring you a bit. Git is simply a protocol
for sharing code. Those who are programming org-mode can work together
on all of the little files that make org-mode work. These files live
on a server, and those of use who use org-mode "pull" (or clone) from
that server. In this way, you can keep your version up to date with
what the coders are doing.

You don't have to have anything running. There's a server that keeps
all of the org-mode program living on it. We, the users, use "git" (a
small program) to interact with that server and download a fresh copy.

Git is smart, though, and after the first long download, every time
you run it afterwards, it only pulls down files that have changed so
that it's much faster afterwards.

Sound good?

John