Re: [O] Easily adding notes to a TODO item

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: Re: [O] Easily adding notes to a TODO item
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 12:40:00 -0400

Shawn Willden <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I use an org file to track my work.  It contains top-level headers
> corresponding to projects with sub-headers corresponding to
> sub-projects and/or tasks.  I clock in and out on individual TODOs to
> track time -- all pretty normal, I think.
> I'd also like to be able to easily take notes using something like
> "remember", but with the notes by default automatically appended to
> the text under the task I'm currently clocked into, with an attached
> timestamp.  Right now I'm manually positioning my cursor in the right
> place, then using "C-u C-c . <RET>" to create a timestamp.  This
> works, but it's cumbersome enough that I don't take as many notes as I
> should.
>
> So, I'd really like to be able to hit "C-c C-r" (or something) from
> anywhere in EMACS, type my note, and have it automatically go the
> right place, with a timestamp.  What would make it really awesome is
> if I could also have a shortcut that would place the name of the file
> I was editing when I hit "C-c C-r" in the note.

You can do this with org-capture by typing C-2 C-c C-w within the
capture buffer. That will refile the new note to the currently clocked
task.

You can also use a capture template for this, e.g.:

        ("c" "Clock sibling" entry
         (clock)
         "* %^{Title}\n %U\n %a\n\n %i")

Type C-h v org-capture-templates for more details.

Another option: you can quickly navigate to the current clocked task
with org-clock-goto (C-c C-x C-j). Then you can type C-c C-z to add a
time-stamped note.

Best,
Matt