Re: [O] bug in latex export tutorial?

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] bug in latex export tutorial?
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 14:21:10 -0400

Robert Goldman <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 4/29/11 Apr 29 -11:44 AM, Thomas S. Dye wrote:
> > Aloha Robert,
> >
> > Yep.  It should be "One of these, amssymb, requires amsmath, which
> > conflicts with several LaTeX fonts."
>
> I don't /believe/ amssymb requires amsmath.  I have been working on a
> document where I wanted to use some of the stuff in amsmath (e.g.,
> \text, align environment).  That document did /not/ parse, even though
> amssymb *is* in the preamble of the exported file.  I looked, and the
> preamble has amssymb, but not amsmath.
>
> It would be *great* if someone could provide tutorial information that
> would tell us:
>
> 1.  How do we configure a file so that it *can* use amsmath?

amsmath conflicts with wasysym (redefines \iint), so you have to
redefine your headers to omit wasysym or include amsmath *first*: for
some reason, if you \usepackage{amsmath} *before* you
\usepackage{wasysym}, the error does not arise -- presumably, amsmath
assumes that \iint is not defined beforehand, whereas wasysym does not
make that assumption.

> 2.  What happens to the parallel HTML export if we use amsmath
> constructs in an org file?

It would depend on whether you use the dvipng mechanism or the mathjax mechanism
for math visualization. In the first case, amsmath is automatically included by
org mode (before wasysym, so no problems). In the second case, I wouldn't be
able
to tell you: I've had problems with mathjax that I've wanted to investigate for
ages
and never had the time - one of these centuries I'll get around to it...

Nick