Re: [O] org-capture in message-mode buffer

From: Ulf Stegemann
Subject: Re: [O] org-capture in message-mode buffer
Date: Thu, 05 May 2011 09:02:38 +0200

Leo <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 2011-05-04 21:14 +0800, Ulf Stegemann wrote:
>> The idea behind `org-store-link' (which is triggered by `org-capture')
>> in message mode is to store a link to a /sent/ message even though the
>> message has not been sent by the time you call `org-store-link'.  This
>> currently works only with Gnus and only if there's a Gcc header present
>> in the message you are working on.  `org-gnus-store-link' needs the Gcc
>> header to determine where the message would go once it has been sent (in
>> order to create a link to it).  The error you've encountered means that
>> there hasn't been a Gcc header in your message when you've called
>> `org-capture'.
>
> I think org-gnus-store-link is too aggressive.

Hmmm, is it? Suppose that linking to a message yet to be archived
wouldn't be there, then `org-store-link' will tell you `org-store-link:
Cannot link to a buffer which is not visiting a file' when called in a
message buffer (like in any other non-file buffer).

> I also dislike the fact that it inserts the Message-Id header.

As the org link to Gnus messages consists of the group and the message
id the latter one is need (as is the first one, the Gcc header).  No
reliable message id, no org link.  One may argue if it's a good idea to
generate the message id when calling `org-store-link' but I think it's a
fair tradeoff to accept this in order to get the link to the message yet
to be archived.

> Also, the stored link may be useless unless it is referenced in the
> template chosen by the user.

Hmmm, I'm not quite sure what your scenario is here.  If you dislike the
behaviour of `org-store-link' in message mode and furthermore do not
want to store a link at all since your template does not use it, why do
you call `org-capture' from the message mode buffer at all?

Ulf