Re: [O] Org table with long lines visibility

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [O] Org table with long lines visibility
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 10:29:16 +0200

On May 4, 2011, at 7:48 PM, Johnny wrote:

> I have a table with ridiculously long lines, so I have limited them by
> putting '<N>' in the first row. To edit them, I use 'C-c `' to get the
> full text in a separate buffer, which works fine, especially together
> with 'longlines-mode'. However, browsing the table contents is very
> cumbersome, so I am wondering if there is any way to make the
> 'org-table-edit-field' to be permanently visible in a buffer,
> automatically updating while moving around in the table to view the full
> content of the current cell?  Similar to the way BBDB pops up and shows
> the sender in a separate buffer, if known.
>
> Any help and ideas appreciated! Thanks!

Hi Jonny,

this is a good idea, and it is now implemented.

C-u C-u C-c C-`

while the cursor is in a table turns on a special mode in
which the field editor window will follow the cursor through
the table.  You can use the editor window to see the field
contents, you can switch to the editor window, edit the
field and press C-c C-c to update the field in the table.

The mode can be turned off when executing the command
again: C-u C-u C-c `

Also, if the cursor leaves the table, the follow mode
automatically turns itself off, to avoid surprises in the
window setup when you enter another table.  If you prefer
to keep the mode on and suffer from possible side effects,
take a look at the new variable
`org-table-exit-follow-field-mode-when-leaving-table'.

HTH

- Carsten