Re: [O] Org Contacts, Gnus and Yasnippet Not Playing Nicely

From: Ian Barton
Subject: Re: [O] Org Contacts, Gnus and Yasnippet Not Playing Nicely
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 14:33:23 +0100

On 24/05/11 11:21, Tassilo Horn wrote:
Ian Barton<address@hidden>  writes:

Hi Ian,

I am trying to set up Org Contacts and gnus. Org Contacts suggests
that pressing +<Tab>  in the To: field in a message buffer should
offer a list of tags from my contacts file. However, I just get a Tab.

I suspect that Yasnippet is interfering, as entering the abbreviation
for any of my snippets and pressing Tab auto-completes the
snippet. Does anyone have a tip for making Yasnippets, gnus and
org-contacts play nicely together?

It works fine for me using emacs 24.  Maybe you've set
`org-contacts-completion-ignore-case' set to nil (which is not the
default), and you are trying to complete a lowercase starter while all
of your contacts have names starting uppercase?

If not, start writing a mail and go to the To: header.  Type the first
character of a contact that definitively exists.  You should get a
*Completion* buffer, or it should complete to the sole matching contact.
Additionally, doing `C-h k TAB' should tell you that TAB executes
`completion-at-point'.

(Even with emacs 24, before the first TAB it'll tell me that TAB calls
`yas/expand'...)

Thanks Tassilo. I am using Emacs 23.2.1. `C-h k TAB' shows:

TAB (translated from <tab>) runs the command yas/expand, which is an
interactive Lisp function in `yasnippet.el'.

It is bound to TAB, <menu-bar> <YASnippet> <Expand trigger>.

(yas/expand)

Expand a snippet before point.

If no snippet expansion is possible, fall back to the behaviour
defined in `yas/fallback-behavior'

I have just downloaded and compiled Emacs 24, where it all works as expected. So it seems specific to the version of Emacs with Ubuntu. So far Emacs 24 seems stabe on my system, so this is an acceptable workaround:)

Ian.