[O] Problem with make and autoloads

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: [O] Problem with make and autoloads
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 12:56:56 -0400

Hello list,

Recently, autoloads ceased to work in my local org-mode installation.

My typical update routine is to:

1. Pull the most recent changes into my local org-mode repository,
   located at "~/org-mode".
2. Run "make clean && make".

My .emacs file contains the following lines:

(add-to-list 'load-path "~/org-mode/lisp")
(require 'org-install)

Note: I have replicated the problem using an .emacs file containing
*only* those lines.

When I call an autoloaded function, such as org-capture, I receive the
following error:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-error "Cannot open load file"
"lisp/org-capture")
  execute-extended-command(nil)
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)

The autoloads in org-install all have "lisp/" prepended to the file
name.

Here is an example:

(autoload 'org-capture "lisp/org-capture" "\

This causes problems since there is no "~/org-mode/lisp/lisp/org-capture.el".

In the past, the autoloads in org-install.el looked like this:

(autoload 'org-capture "org-capture" "\

Adding "~/org-mode" to the load path allows emacs to find the files
correctly, but this is a temporary workaround. (The manual instructs one
to add the lisp directory to the org path---not the top level of the
distribution directory.)

Any insights into why the autoloads are being generated this way? Is
anyone else experiencing the same issue? I have downloaded a new version
of the distribution to ensure that no local changes to the Makefile are
involved.

Note: I am using a recent version of bzr emacs, but the problem also
occurred when compiling org-mode with emacs 23.2.

Thanks,
Matt