Re: [O] Experimental media-wiki export

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: [O] Experimental media-wiki export
Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 13:45:06 +0530

David Mason <address@hidden> writes:

> I've found myself using the media-wiki export code in EXPERIMENTAL quite
> a bit - but it seems to have broken in the most recent builds.

May be this will help.
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2011-04/msg00316.html

> I'm curious what the status of that is - are there any plans to move it
> into the main codebase? Is anyone even maintaining it?

You have the option of exporting it to html or odt and have it converted
to mediawiki. Open/Libre Office seems to be one uber converter and you can use
it to export to mediawiki (by hand) or through commandline (use
unoconv). If you are unhappy with unoconv, you can write some basic
macros and have a made-to-order commandline that exports html/odt to
mediawiki.

I am attaching test org file and the corresponding mediawiki export
(generated via the html backend). I am not sure how good the mediawiki
export is.

> I find it is the best mediawiki export, especially for tables.

Btw, the attached test file has tables, both simple and complex.

On a related note, in all honesty,

1. I think that Org shouldn't support all backends in the world as part
   of it's core. The previous statement equally applies to the org-odt
   backend. It would suffice if Org provides a generic exporter and
   people unhappy with existing converters or who have plenty of time in
   hand (like me) can author standalone modules that is in tune with ORg
   way of things and distribute it via GNU's ELPA.

2. I think Org should provide a way (out of the box) to post-process an
   exported file to one of the "other" formats using an external
   converter. LibreOffice, if not now, atleast in distant future would
   become the One True Converter to rule the world.

   Something like M-x org-export-as-other ....

Jambunathan K.

<#part type="text/plain" filename="~/src/org-jambu/contrib/odt/files/test.org"
disposition=attachment description=test.org>
<#/part>

<#part type="text/plain" filename="~/src/org-jambu/contrib/odt/files/test.txt"
disposition=inline description=test.mediawiki>
<#/part>